Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Door Finally Opened


I have been working at the Orem Hampton Inn since I was 16 years old. I am now 21 it has been exactly 5 years this month since I have worked there. I started out working every other Saturday as a breakfast hostess and then over a 2 year period I started working a little more every week.In my spare time I would come in and work on training for the front desk. Learning the computer system and how to answer phones things like that. After a sitatuion that came up leaving me well.. screwed over as a breakfast hostess I started working on the Front Desk. I learned it very quickly and I like to think that I started doing an awesome job on the desk. Also I started training in other departments so that I would know what to do if they needed help. Anyway... so a few more years had gone by and there had been a lot of situations that came up and things that happened that left me thinking and feeling that it was very un fair and that I was putting in a lot of hard work and it was getting me no where. Not that I think you should always have a motive for working hard my parents taught my sisters and I to have a very strong work ethic and that you should work hard no matter what. But it just started to feel that I was getting walked on and used and it became very frustrating. After many talks with my managers all I was getting told time after time was " Doors will open for you Holli you just have to be patient, and continue to work hard." Well I have always tried to keep that in mind but I know that there are no doors that will ever open for me becuase my mom is a manager and becuase of thatI can't be. I continued to keep working hard but my attitude and my moral just keep getting worse and worse becuase my hard work was getting me no where but treated badly and getting walked on. I have a new front desk manager who worked at the hotel last year and ended up leaving but has now come back. To make a long story last week he told me he was working on an idea to get me the Front Desk Supervisor position. Of coure I was thankful for that but I did not think anything will come of it becuase I have been told myself numerous times that the position is not needed... ( Example of my frustration and hard work getting me no where) Other managers have pitched the idea for me to get me promoted but agian nothing ever came of it. But yesterday I was told that I got the promotion! Dennis ( My manager) typed up an entire letter for the General Manager of what my responsibilites would be and why I should get the promotion!! I am so excited! It came with a raise which I will not write on here becuase this raise that I am so greatful and in need of is not something that most people would get excited about but I am!!! A door has finally opened for me and I could not be happier. I know I bitch about the hotel all the time but its becuase I have felt that I just get walked on but my hard work has paid off. In my opinion its a little over due haha but whatever! I could not be more happy and proud of myself. I know that sounds dumb and probably selfish but I don't care!! I can't wait!! I start my new position on Monday and I am so excited. I have been praying so hard that I will find a new job or that the Hotel will get better until I find one. I made the decision that I should stay at the hotel until I get my financial situation taken care of ( That I will spare you guys and not get into) But I am so happy that my hard work has finally paid off and I am now officially The Front Desk Supervisor! Go Me Go! Wish me luck!

5 comments:

iamskippy said...

No one deserves this more... you're gonna be awesome at it. It feels like we finally have a Hampton family that isn't too dysfunctional.

***GO HOLLI!***

Bensons said...

Congrats Holli that is awesome! You will make a great supervisor! :)

Johanna said...

I'm so happy for you!!

EmilyJudd28 said...

You are absolutely amazing and you totally deserved this!! I'm sooo proud of you boss :-)

Kacee said...

Congratulations Holli! It sounds like your hard work has finally paid off!